Wednesday, 20 August 2014

Matte Smokey Eyes Tutorial

Hi Everyone! So I was dying to get playing with my new Contour Kit by Anastasia, and decided to go for this totally matte smoked out eye. Really felt like honing my blending skills a bit and what better way to do that than blend loads of matte tones together? I'm really happy with how this came out, it's quite simple in that there's not a gazillion shades needed, but it was time consuming, my hand was getting a bit numb by the time I had all the blending done hahah. Hope you enjoy it!

I began as always, by priming my lids with Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion in Eden.
I did a light wash of Vanilla from the Anastasia Beverly Hills Contour Kit. This was just to take away the stickiness of the primer, so that the matte shades I knew I'd be using would blend out smoothly. Any flesh tone matte shade would work for this step.
Next to start defining my socket, I took the shade Java from the same palette on a Crown C200 Deluxe Crease brush. I built this up little by little, leaving the browbone free of colour.
I packed Handwritten, one of my all time favourite neutral deep browns, by Mac, on a Crown C124 Firm Shadow brush all over the moving lid. I used the blending brush from the last step to blend it into Java.
Next I lined my upper lashline with L'Oréal Super Liner Gel Intenza (check out my review here) on a Real Techniques Fine Liner brush. I just did a thick winged shape and immediately began to smudge it out. Once I had the edges of it softened out, I went in with a Crown bullet brush that I don't know the name of, and Crave from the Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette (dying to get my paws on the new one!) . I used this blackened dark brown to smudge the line even further and blend it into Handwritten. I left the wing kind of sharp. This style of smokey eye would suit hooded or mono eyes really well.
I applied a generous coat of Clinique High Impact Mascara.
Ugh I love these little fellas. Ardell Wispies.
Going back in to Java and my very much-loved Handwritten, I ran both all the way under the lower lashes and blended down quite far. Seriously need to get a new one! Also popped some of the same mascara down there.
Sticking with the matte theme, I resisted the temptation for a frosty inner corner highlight, and went with my trusted Blanc Type by Mac instead. And that's the look done! Simples!
This photo was taken outside. What a difference!
Other Products Used

Skin:
-Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation
-Mac Pro Longwear Concealer
-Bourjois Healthy Balance Powder
-Anastasia Contour Kit
-Mac Fleur Power Powder Blush
-theBalm Mary Lou-Manizer
-Catrice Brow Set
-Lumene Wild arose Lipliner 2
-Rimmel Lasting Finish by Kate Moss Lipstick 03

Much Love xxx

6 comments:

  1. Stunning, love your looks <3 i will try it with texture and handwritten.. Could be the same. Go on! Bye, wilja (watch my blog also, look in my profile, translatebutton is on top!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, please let me know how you get on!

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous! The shades really suit you :) Raspberrykiss xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya Sara Greetings from Donegal! This look is gorgeous You say you use the Catrice brow set...What do you use to apply it? Do you use the brush included or something else? Your brows always look class :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw cheers hun. I just use an angled or a flat definer brush to apply it! I can't remember what kinda one came with it, I usually throw those out. Thank you x

      Delete

I appreciate all your feedback, let me know what you think, make suggestions, ask questions, I'll try to reply to any queries :) Much Love xx