Friday, 8 August 2014

Autumn/Fall Smokey Eyes Tutorial

Hi everyone! I must say this was probably the most challenging tutorial to shoot to date, to the point where I didn't feel like posting it the day I did it like I usually do, but after enquiring you guys on Instargam if you wanted to see it and getting a positive response, I decided it would be worth posting after all. It's been so hot this past while, all last week was in the 30 Celsius, any make up I put on my face sweated right off. Add to that the fact that it was so bright outside that my photos turned out either really blurry or the colour totally distorted. When I went to edit the photos, my laptop overheated and I just had enough hahah. So needless to say, I'm getting a bit bored with summer. Hence I decided to do this sultry, dark smokey eye, perfect for autumn nights out. I was going to pair it with a nice dark, berry lip, but for fear that the make up would melt right off me, I didn't have time, so went for a simple nude lip instead. I really hope you like this, let me know what you think! 

I began by applying the tiniest bit of Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion all over the lid, up to the browbone. 
To create a nice dark base that wouldn't move or crease, I used the Loreal Super Liner Intenza Gel Liner on my Real Techniques Base Shadow Brush. I applied it with the brush along the lashes in a winged shape, and blended it up onto the moving lid with my finger. I reapplied and blended in the same way again til I got the desired depth of colour at the lashes. I was careful not to bring the colour over my crease though, because that would be really hard to blend out later.
Right over the top of that dark base, I packed on this gorgeous deep, iridescent, burgundy brown shade by Urban Decay, called Muse, it's from the Vice palette. Anything similar would work.
To blend the edges of that deep shadow out, I used a light warm brown shade by Mac, called Kid, on my Real Techniques Essential Crease Brush. An alternative to Kid would be something like Naked  by Urban Decay.
For my browbone highlight, I washed some Brule by Mac, meeting it up with Kid, marrying the two together. Any matte flesh tone would work for this, like Foxy by Urban Decay.
Just to add a bit of dimension to the look, I applied Deception from the Mac Cool Neutrals Palette on a damp Real Techniques Accent Brush just in the middle of the moving lid.
I lined my upper and lower waterlines with the Loreal Gel Liner, bringing it to a feline point in the inner corner. I also took this under the lower lashes, and blended it out with Muse and Kid.
I applied a generous coat of Clinique High Impact Mascara and a pair of Kiss lashes, I believe the style is 02. 
At this point I did my base and brows, and decided the look needed a bit of brightening in the inner corner. On a small shader brush I popped Sweet Allure from the Mac Cool Neutrals Palette into my tearduct. An alternative to this would be something like Virgin by Urban Decay.
I'm wearing very little on my face, pretty much just foundation and a bit of blush. If you look closely you might see the pain and frustration in my eyes while taking these photos hahah. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm so looking forward to cool, rainy autumn days. 

Much Love xxx

3 comments:

  1. i feel so bad right now since i asked for a tutorial :(
    but its soooo nice and perfect and sexy and everything :)
    i do agree with you - summer is no fun anymore (since i'm not 20 :P ) regards :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a beautiful look, I love how your tutorials are so easy to follow x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for putting up the UD suggestions, Sara. I was on a holiday, so didn't bring the notebook in which i'd jotted down UD/MAC lookalikes.
    It's funny how I might do the same steps with my own looks, but somehow I never manage to get that perfectly blended appearance and depth that I get when I follow your tutorials.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all your feedback, let me know what you think, make suggestions, ask questions, I'll try to reply to any queries :) Much Love xx