Wednesday, 9 April 2014

Dramatic Cat Eye Make-Up Tutorial

Hi Everyone! This is probably my absolute favourite type of eye make-up right here. I was just playing around really and taking pictures as I went along and this was the end result. This would be perfect for going out clubbing, provided you have hours to get ready hahah. This technique makes the eyes look super elongated and uplifted, very cat-like. Keep reading if you want to find out how it's done! 
                      

 
So I primed my whole lid and under the lower lashes with Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion in the colour Eden.
I began by applying a light frosty colour with pink undertones all over the moving lid using a flat shader brush. I really packed this on using patting motions, I wanted the colour as opaque as I could get it. I used Sweet Allure from my Mac Cool Neutrals palette, but something like Bootycall from the Urban Decay Naked2 palette would work perfect.
To start mapping out my socket shape, I used Quarry by Mac on a Real Techniques Essential Crease Brush. This went right the way along the socket line (just follow the natural shape of your eye socket), quite far in towards the nose and at the outer edge, I flicked it right up towards the end of my eyebrow. I didn't connect it at the outer corner.
I don't know the name or brand of this brush, but just use something more precise than the first one, something you have good control with. I picked up a little bit of Embark by Mac (a cool toned rich dark brown) and slowly started to build this up in the socket to deepen and define that line I mapped out with Quarry. These two shadows together are one of my favourite combinations, Embark looks almost aubergine over Quarry, I love it. I kept going back to the blending brush with whatever shadow was left on it to buff and blend the darker colour until it was nice and seamless.
I highlighted my browbone, inner corner and right under the lower inner corner as well if that makes sense. I used a small generic shader brush and Blanc Type by Mac, again, an absolute favourite matte highlight shade of mine. It doesn't look too white on me, being as pale as I am, but if you have a darker skin tone, you can substitute this for something a little darker, unless you like a really eye popping highlight, then proceed! 
For lining the top lash line I used Rimmel Glam'Eyes Liquid Liner, which has a really fine brush that allows me to create a super precise line. Nothing too special about the lining, just make sure there's a gap between the flick of the liner and the socket eyeshadows. I also brought it down to a fine point at the inner tearduct. Now the white eyeliner is what really makes this look stand out, so what I did was line the inner half of my lower waterline and bring it right into the tearduct. I also just did a simple flick right above the black liner flick. This creates the illusion of a double winged liner, which I personally think is a really cool effect. I used the Gosh White Pencil Liner.
On to the lower lid! The picture below is a little misleading, I did start darkening the lower lash line with that brush but quickly changed to an angled brush, but forgot to take a picture of it (sorry!) so just use whatever you find easiest for this part. So I went back to Embark, I connected the outer corner to the winged liner and then took it down low in the inner corner, following the same direction as the liner above it. 
Now back to this brush! And back to Quarry, I just smudged the harsh line out and brought it quite low down. I also added a dark brown pencil liner to the outer rim of the eye. And filled in the gap on the lower inner corner with more white pencil. 
I finished off with Clinique High Impact Mascara and Katy Perry for Eylure Cool Kitty Lashes. Et voila! 
On my cheeks I used Benefit Coralista Boxed Blush and on my lips I used YSL Rouge Volupte lipstick in Peach Passion. 
And then I played with some filters :P
Let me know what you guys think! What's your favourite going-out make-up? 
Much Love xxxx

10 comments:

  1. Adorable, it looks quite theatric! My eye shape won't allow for the flicked, elongated socket. I've a bit of a hood near the ends, so I can't really copy this look! By the way, I followed your brow tutorial, and for the first time (or one of the first times) I was able to fill them in without it looking clownish. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know, this won't suit everyone unfortunately! Here's another elongating look I did a while back that would be easier to do on hooded lids! Hope it's helpful! http://dazzlelight1991.blogspot.fi/2014/03/simple-soft-smokey-liner-tutorial.html

      Delete
  2. Great tutorial! Love the final look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is amazing! Do you think about making videos on youtube? It would be very good :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I have and I've been asked to before, but sadly I can't afford a nice camera and lighting system to do it, you know? If I were to do it, I'd want to do it proper :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great look. I have nominated you for the very inspiring blogger award. check my link for details :)
    http://simplymee89.blogspot.com/2014/04/very-inspring-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eye colour depends to a great extent on the pigmentation of the iris. Normally blue eyes, in addition to the iris pigmentation, are also caused by a factor called the Rayleigh scattering of light that makes the sky appear blue. Low levels of melanin in the iris make it appear dark thereby reflecting shorter wavelengths of light causing the blue color. While eye make-up for all types of eyes is not constant or easy, for people with blue eyes make-up is easy because any contrast color would highlight blue eyes and make them appear beautiful.
    natural eye makeup

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all your feedback, let me know what you think, make suggestions, ask questions, I'll try to reply to any queries :) Much Love xx