Monday, 5 March 2012

BASICS: Contouring

Hi Everyone! Hope you all had a great weekend. I figured it was about time I did one of these back to basics type of tutorials I quite enjoy making them. In saying that, contouring is by no means basic. To me it's one of the hardest techniques to get right, and trust me, I still get it wrong a lot of the time (laziness :P). You can use countless products to contour with, creams, powders, darker foundations, the list goes on and on. Once you get the hang of it, its very addictive as it brings out features of your face that you may not have known you even had! I hope this is helpful, let me know in the comments!

Here is my face with my foundation, concealer and powder on. If you're using powder(to contour) like I will be, make sure to powder the areas where the contour will be going as you don't want it to stick to your skin and have to start over. I used revlon Colorstay foundation, Mac Studiofinish Concealer and GOSH Pressed Powder.

The type of colour you want to use is a matte, not-too-orangey shade, the deepness depending on how tanned you are. If you're a similar colour to me, this one from Catrice is perfect (Sun Glow Matte Bronzing Powder For Lighter Skin). They do a darker one also. The brush I use is one from make-up.ie, blusher brush 42.


My general rules for where to place your contour is from where your ear connects to your face down to the corner of your mouth. Also you don't want to take the colour further in than the outer corner of your eye. So basically stick to the very backs of your cheeks and blend onto the temples for the most effective and realistic result. No need for sucking in your lips like a fish, it does'nt do anything, only pulls your face down and we want to make our face look lifted up. Another crucial trick is to use minimal product. Add more little by little, and less is more when it comes to sculpting out cheekbones.



Sweep some of the colour onto your forehead also, it'll add the illusion of being slightly tanned and having a healthy glow rather than just these strange stripes on the cheeks.

This step is optional but its something I like to do to disguise an undefined jawline and hide my little double chin. I take the TINIEST amount of product on the brush and sweep it along the jawbone and blend down the neck. Again it distributes the colour on your face nicely, adding to that healthy glow.

And that's the shading part done! In my opinion, if you're going to contour, you must also highlight to balance out the change in your face and make it look more realistic.


So, here's a few samples of what you can use as highlighter. Im not a great fan of powder highlighters, but below is Shroom by Mac, which you could dust on to the tops of the cheekbones. The other two are my go-to options; Shell Creme Colourbase by Mac and Benefit High Beam (Moonbeam is equally beautiful, I don't own it :/). I find creamy based products look a lot more natural and are super easy to work with.

I've applied High Beam here on my cheeks (stay ABOVE where you placed the contour) and a little bit on my brow bone. Notice how if you connect the dots, it creates a sort of C-shape. This is very flattering when the light hits it, and it creates the illusion of chiseled, high bone structure.


Et Voila! You like? Did I explain this clearly? Thanks for reading, much love! x

5 comments:

  1. I agree with contouring being the hardest technique to get right. I only recently started contouring my face and I'm still trying to get it right. Thanks for the help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks gorgeous! and so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings! I've been reading your website for a while now and finally got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from Atascocita Texas! Just wanted to mention keep up the good work!
    My blog post on this site

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really very complex in this full of activity life to listen news on Television, so I simply use web for that purpose, and obtain the most up-to-date information.

    Check out my website: sim only nederland

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved as much as you will receive carried out right here.
    The sketch is tasteful, your authored material stylish.
    nonetheless, you command get bought an shakiness over
    that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come further formerly again since exactly the same
    nearly a lot often inside case you shield this
    increase.

    Have a look at my blog post - buy properties

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all your feedback, let me know what you think, make suggestions, ask questions, I'll try to reply to any queries :) Much Love xx