Tuesday, 6 December 2011

Book Review: The Maze Runner by James Dashner



Hi Everyone! I havent done one of these for a while, and I;ve been reading like crazy this past few months, but I felt like I had to talk about this particular one :) I heard about The Maze Runner series somewhere online, and they mentioned that fans of the Hunger Games should read this so if you remember months back i wrote about my post-HG depression (haha), well this is the perfect antidote.
Back of the book says:
"When the doors of the lift crank open, the only thing Thomas remembers is his first name. But he's not alone. He's surrounded by boys who welcome him to the Glade - a walled encampment at the centre of a bizarre and terrible stone maze. Like Thomas, the Gladers don't know why or how they came to be there - or what's happened to the world outside. All they know is that every morning when the walls slide back, they will risk everything - even the Grievers, half-machine, half-animal horror that patrols its corridors, to find out."

I finished the book just over half an hour ago and I wanted to write about it right away while it's still fresh in my mind. Basically, had I not had work to go to, a bladder to relieve and a stomach to fill, I wouldnt have wanted to put this book down until I'd finished it.
So this Thomas guy finds himself in this large outdoor arena called the Glade, with his memory wiped. he knows its been wiped because he can remember what things are called and what they look like etc, but not the faces of people (including himself) names of places or his life before that point. There is about 40 or 50 other kids in the Glade, all teenagers and all boys. The Glade is urrounded by this giant maze to which the walls of the Glade are open during the day but at night the walls close to keep out the Grievers (menacing, viscious and blood thirtsy creatures). Strange things soon start happening and Thomas becomes a prime suspect in the eyes of the others even though he can't remember anything (all the other boys memories were wiped too). I'll tell no more as I don't want to give away too much :)

If you like anything apocalyptic or dystopian, give this book a go. And certainly if you're a fan of The Hunger Games, you're going to love this.

There were certain things about the main characters that I thought were unnecessary (I cant really say what in case I spoil it) and out of place, but maybe the reason for it will unfold in the second book of the trilogy, The Scorch Trials (can't WAIT.)

Overall this book frightened, fascinated and excited me and what else could you want in a book?

Have you read The Maze Runner? What did you think? Much love xxx

2 comments:

  1. I have seen this at the library a few times but never checked it out. I loved the Hunger Games, so now I'll have to get it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hei! Mulle väga meeldib su blogi (sain selle teada beaut.ie kodulehelt). Iirimaa ja iirlased meeldivad mulle ka väga. Kahjuks ma ei puhu suomeksi :D Kõike head sinule!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all your feedback, let me know what you think, make suggestions, ask questions, I'll try to reply to any queries :) Much Love xx