Tuesday, 18 October 2011

Basics: Eyebrows

Hi Everyone! I was asked to show how I do my eyebrows, so I thought I'd take you through it all quite thoroughly. Eyebrows are one of those things that are different on everyone, mainly because they can so easily be changed and so the methods I'm going to show you, may or may not work for you at all. If you have lovely "virgin" brows, do not TOUCH them. Ever! Lol. But seeing as most of us will at one stage or another in our lives got a little tweezer happy and completely bolloxed up our brows or the beautician left us with tadpole brows, chances are you're going to want to do something about it :)
I've received many amazing compliments about my brows from you guys, my friends and sometimes complete strangers in the street will stop me and tell me they like my eyebrows (very flattering, but...?). So I thought I'd share some brow-history with you, simply to prove that I've learned through trial and error what to do with my brows, and Im still discovering new tips and tricks.
Here's me 15 years of age, with literally a LINE of hair.

Here's me 16, just before I discovered brow pencils. I was trying to do an arched brow, and just ended up looking angry. Fail.

And this is me, 18, with a decent shape, but as you can see, they're very obviously drawn on. But then again, looking natural at the time wasn't a major concern for me :)

Now for a little tutorial! As I mentioned before, this will not work for everyone, but that's okay because there isnt one RIGHT way to do your brows, this is just what I do. But hopefully you'll pick up some useful tips along the way.
So, the tools you will need are a spoolie or a clean disposable mascara wand for brushing the brows.

An angled brush. The one I use and love is a Crown Italian Badger Angled Brush. You will also need small nail scissors or I used hairdressing scissors, but forgot to take a picture of them.

Now, this is my eyebrow before I've done anything to it.

First thing I do is pluck away the stray hairs underneath. I have never had my eyebrows waxed or otherwise treated by a professional, I'm just too fussy for it so plucking is the way to go for me. Then, take your spoolie and brush all your hair downward. As you can see, some of the hair slumps down over the bottom line of my brow (god this is hard to explain). Those hairs need to be trimmed with the scissors, like so.


Then, brush all the hairs upward with the spoolie, and repeat the trimming of any hairs that go over "the line".

And now your eyebrowss are groomed, we're ready to start filling them in!

One of the most important parts of doing your eyebrows and making sure they don't look fake or drawn on, is to choose the right colour. You can use brow powder or matte eyeshadow. As you all know, I always use matte eyeshadow. To figure out what shade you should use, first of all look at the hair of your eyebrows. Is the tone cool or warm? Most people will have cool tones in their eyebrows, but take a good look and decide. They say you should use a colour that is a shade or two lighter than your brows, and this is true to an extent, depending on what type of look you're going for. I mean, I often use Nanda Devi eyeshadow by Stila, which is WAY darker than my hair, but because it's a cool or ashy toned dark brown, it looks alright on. Saying that, if you have dark hair, I would recommend something like Nanda Devi. The shadow I'm using today is Catrice "Starlight Espresso". It's an ashy toned shadow, that matches my mousy colouring perfectly.

Now, I always make sure I have my foundation on BEFORE I start filling in my brows, because I would mess up all my good work if I slapped foundation on after. So the first thing I do, is start from the arch to the ends. This way, you can get your pressure down, because it doesnt matter if you apply too much (pressure) at this part of the brow, because you want a defined line there. My rule is to always lessen the pressue and the amount of product the further in you go towards your nose.

Next, taking a little bit more of the shadow, I map out the bottom "line" of the brow, so that there's a clean edge.

I repeat the same thing on top, so now I have my rough shape mapped out.

And then, I just fill in the blanks! Now as I mentioned before, when you get to the "front" of the brow, make sure you have absolutely minimal product on your brush, and gently push it through this front part, to make it look as natural as possible. And that's all there is to it! This may not be the most fashionable or modern way of doing your brows, but it works for me, it's easy and simple once you know what you're doing.

And here you can see, with a flash, that you can't really see obvious tell-tale signs of filled in brows, it all looks fairly uniform and there's no funny gaps like I would have had I not filled them in.


I hope that was of use to some of you, and feedback on if my explanations made any sense would be great haha. Have a great weekend girls, Much Love! xxxx

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post, I'm awful at looking after my brows properly so this is helpful. Mine are super pale and grow v quickly so I just end up getting frustrated and leaving them alone, which is NOT a good look, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post!I need an angled brush but don't know which brand makes the best?

    ReplyDelete
  3. cornflakegirl- Youre very welcome, I hope this helped hun! Have a great weekend x

    Miss Tapia- Hi hun, I love the Crown brush I have, and it only cost a couple of quid. As always Mac does an excellent one too :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks a million great post, will defo be trying it out on my brows... x

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all your feedback, let me know what you think, make suggestions, ask questions, I'll try to reply to any queries :) Much Love xx